Friday, July 21, 2006

FO in the AO


I finished the Cothardie last night. I was so excited! I've never made this pattern before, and of course, I made some mistakes. I know what I have to do differently, so if I ever make another one ....

Details: 100% linen fabric for both the undergown and overgown. I sewed most of it by machine, but I finished the sleeve hems, neckline, and buttonholes by hand. The buttons I had purchased from Billy and Charlie's ages ago, and I was thrilled when I discovered I had enough. I didn't have to make them!





The closeup shows some detail, but you may have to click on the image to get a larger picture. I came to realize that I really do not have a talent for handmade buttonholes.








The next FO is actually only mostly done. The reason the skirt is on the dummy and subsequently attached to the bodice is to mark the skirt for hemming. The bodice is a modification of a pattern I had and I'm real pleased with how it has turned out. The bodice needs the epaulets and of course sleeves. I'm not making the sleeves for Pennsic, however, so they will be laced on at a later date.

The skirt and bodice are also 100% linen. The skirt is cartridge pleated. The buttons on the bodice are cheezey JHB plastic buttons (I know) in the shape of a knot, so they do okay (for Pennsic anyway). They are about the same size of my handmade buttons, so I can replace them later.

I'm excited. I'm beginning to see the end of the gotta-hurry-up-and-sew-for-Pennsic tunnel.

3 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

I really love the cotehardie! It's so elegant looking!

12:26 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

What pattern is the brown overdress?? It's so simple and lovely.

7:54 PM  
Blogger Becky said...

Both the cotehardie and the doublet are to die for! Nice work!

11:44 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home